1/14/08

Crowd the hillsides: Caroline Roga, '04

















Little boxes, sweep against the green firs and strut among each other.
In the middle wires reach, drawing me onward towards Tokyo, and
Away from the peaceful tourist-trap of Kyoto.
My contribution is several pieces of paper and a fan.
The machines take my ticket. There are three shots left on the roll.
Five bags, I think. Like a metamorphosis,
I have come undone.
The sparse traveller grows, my hair is shorter, my group
Has swollen by one, there are presents, books, new shoes,
The outline of a pavilion that was lost.
To me Japan is rice fields, wild flowers gently tweaked to submission.
The soft circling of birds of prey against the noontime sky. Ramen. Hot mochi.
I will take you to my izakaya for sashimi that will have you throwing out cooking pots in wild abandon.
Nama beer-u onegaishimas
Japan is the first, long draught to quench this thirst.

No comments: