2/6/08

Confessions of a feminist voter


Courtney Skerritt is a proud graduate of Mount Holyoke College(my amazing class of 2001.)

I got to vote for her today. And it felt amazing. I don't know about the procedure in other states, but after one votes in Massachusetts they get a sticker. For most of the day, the message "I voted" screamed in bright blue ink from just below my left shoulder. Simply wearing such sticker prompted conversation amongst my colleagues as well as my students (I work in a high school). Although the conversation was good, I wish it had been more direct. What I really wish I had been wearing was a sticker that read "I voted for her". Those who know me knew I would vote for Hillary - I'm as close to a stereotypical Hillary supporter as you can get. For starters, I'm a women's college graduate. Secondly, l proudly dedicate my political leanings to issues relating to women and families and for those causes, she is our candiate. But as I watch the 2008 Presidential Election unfold, I can't help but reflect on my decision making process and the truth of feminism guiding my way.

It was not until the Iowa caucuses that I began to really pay attention to the presidential campaign. Prior to early January, the primaries were on my mind, but certainly did not capture my attention like they did for those living in the early primary states of New Hampshire and Iowa. Politics did not dominate family conversation over the holidays, but names like Obama, Hillary and Mitt passed through our lips as we talked about what was going on in our lives. But as the days ticked by, I knew I had to declare my intentions. As both sets of my parents live in New Hampshire, their mailboxes and inboxes were inundated with messages from the various campaigns; I watched as my husband weighed his options amongst the democractic candidates, finally deciding on Obama. His decision certainly made me question my leanings (as he stated a compelling case), but deep down I knew it was just a matter of time before I declared my intentions to vote for her. I am proud of my decision making. I listened to the candidates and even questioned my choice when the Clinton campaign began to sling more mud than I am comfortable with at the opponents. But with each passing day, I knew that this was my chance. When I walked into that booth today, not only was I able to exercise a right fought for me just 100 years ago, but I was able to vote for a woman. Elizabeth Cady Stanton would be proud. But what would make her more proud is knowing that I had a choice. Not only did I have the opportunity to vote, but I voted using a ballot with a woman's name listed. Not only did I get to vote for a woman, but I got to choose. And that is what is at the core of feminism. As Susan Sarandon is quoted in this week's Time Magazine, "It's insulting to assume that because you're a woman or a person of color, you would automatically back any woman or person of color. It's a little more complicated". Yes Susan, it is complicated. But as the debates raged on and platforms were expressed, I knew this was a woman who deserved my vote.

When it became clear to me Hillary was my candiate, I did not make public display of my preference. I did not wear a Clinton button. I did not post my decision on modern day personal billboards like Facebook or on my Gmail status. I wanted to, really I did. I wanted to scream so that fellow Americans in all corners would hear another voice in support of Hillary Clinton. But what held me back was fear of being sterotyped. I knew that voting for Hillary was what was expected of me and by keeping my vote to myself, perhaps I was excercising my right to just be. So maybe feminism has only gotten us so far? As the presidential campaign took a more central role in our daily lives, my friends and I had many conversations about who we would vote for. Almost always our discussion lead to the theme of feminism and choice. We all knew that we did not have to vote for Hillary just because we are women. Luckily we had a damn good one to choose from, but we did not have to wait for two women to run against each other so the gender card would be cancelled out. The pundits may argue a gender divide exists in America, but amongst the women I know, decisions were made based on issues, not estrogen. A strong, smart woman is what we get in Hillary Clinton and strong, smart women are going to vote for her. But they are going to vote for Obama, McCain, and Huckabee. And really, that is what matters. What matters is that they take the time to make a well reasoned, well researched decision. An old political saying goes, WHEN WOMEN VOTE WOMEN WIN. But secretly I hope that it is this woman who wins it all.

1 comment:

Sylvia Bates said...

Awesome, Courtney. While your dad and I both voted for John Edwards and were sorry to see him drop out, we both continue to be amazed that we have two very smart, very capable candidates to choose from. This country will be in much better hands with either Hillary or Obama at the helm. It continues to be a difficult choice and a fascinating race.

Thanks for posting such a thoughtful and articulate essay.